Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique G23 Poor Quality Control-risked life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique G23 Poor Quality Control-risked life.
    Posted: October-18-2017 at 7:08am

This summer, I spent my savings buying a brand new 2017 G23 to supplement my surf shop on the coast.

After only 32 hours of operation, the engine broke while I was at sea (luckily without kids or customers). I was in distress, at sea for hours, trying to get help. Hours later, at midnight, pitch dark, with a storm coming in, raising seas to seven feet, I was luckily towed in by a rescue boat. I was blessed by the rescue and therefore I am alive today, saved by ocean rescue workers and looked out for from above.

Some days after the rescue, a Nautique technician found that the reason for the engine problem proved to be a material breach that was well known by Nautique and had even resulted in a recall. Apparently, Nautique quality control had not responded to the recall.

This happened two months ago. I have been in dialog with Nautique ever since. They have tried to make the boat run but with no luck.

Again and again, I have told them that they need to buy back the boat or somehow else help me with my loss. I have boat payments, costs for insurance, harbour, etc and no income from customers AND, not least, the bad reputation it gives a boat that the engineers cannot fix within two months.

However, even though the president of the firm and Ron, the head of customer complaints, are involved, they keep telling me that they only focus on fixing the boat. Which they do not succeed at.

I live in Europe and my European lawfirm has started a process of how to make Nautique responsible. They have a network of other lawyers in the US to help them in cases, however I would like to have someone with specific knowledge of this field rather than choosing someone from their partner network who may have good relations with them but may not have specific insights and experience in the field.

Do any of you know of a lawfirm in Florida that would be a good choice for a case such as this? I have plenty of documentation in terms of part number, picture of the material breach and even a video from being towed in the storm in the middle of the night and so the case is clear but I need an expert as I am simply a working man with a small shop having spent my savings on the wrong boat to run my business.

Thanks
Rex
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Rex Rex wrote:

a Nautique technician found that the reason for the engine problem proved to be a material breach that was well known by Nautique and had even resulted in a recall. Apparently, Nautique quality control had not responded to the recall.
Thanks
Rex

Rex,
Per your description, it sounds like the "material breach" was in the engine? If so, what's PCM saying? What was the specific problem?

Sorry to hear about the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 8:52am
How far from shore were you? What was this material breach? Sounds like a legal term rather than a boating term.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 9:48am
While I feel bad for you and am glad your ok ultimately it is up to you to the "Captain" to ensure the safety of you and your passengers. Don't know what your rules are in Europe but if your carrying customers for hire don't you think it would be wise to get some sort of VHF radio? Don't have any idea on how the linc system works but you can connect up modern radios to your gps units via the NMEA 2000 network. If you need assistance and press the distress button it automatically transmits your location. You could have easily hit something or got entangled in a fishing line or net and been in the same situation. Radio's here in the states are cheap,easily less than your life and 120K boat. Hope everything works out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:31pm
I wrote my post here partly to let new potential buyers know what kind of company they will be dealing with if they decide to go ahead and buy Nautique / Correct Craft. When I read reviews etc prior to buying, I did not hear of many such cases. Had I known how Nautique would respond when things went wrong, I would have never dealt with them.

My correspondence has been with the international head of customer 'service', Ron Nace. The head of European sales has been involved from the beginning also. When I asked for a boat in the mean time, I was told that it was impossible. They are still working on the boat after two months.

The radio on board did allow me to get a rescue boat out to tow me in, as I wrote. I have all the necessary radio equipment and what not, including the entire software package in the linc system even though that does not help in such a situation. I am a seasoned boater and did not go farther out to sea than any experienced boater would an a coastal boat.

The Nautique engineer rep who came after a few days found that there was a material breach in the tensioner. A known problem that has resulted in a recall but that was never completed by quality control. One of the executives wrote in an email that my tensioner was the very 'next' in the production series. But that may either mean that all Nautique boats with that tensioner have material breaches that have NOT been included in the recall or that it is just something they are saying to quiet me down.

Really, I hope that others will learn from my unfortunate incident and not least the process of having to deal with a completely disrespectful company that for the past two months. That way hopefully others will not have to go through the same.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:42pm
It definitely sounds strange to me that they can't fix the boat if they know exactly what is wrong. Even if they had to Fedex parts in that would only delay repairs a few days, I can't imagine what has been going on for 2 months.

I don't think any of us, you included, expects to get a new boat to fix something that is recalled or defective. But, I'm with you on the lack of a fix, you bought a $130,000 boat from a reputable manufacturer, they should step up and get you on the water right away once the problem is known. I'll be curious to hear if anyone that reads this forum steps in to figure out what is going on with your case. Best of luck!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 3:50pm
The rep for Correct Craft actually called it a material breach of the tensioner? What does that mean, it failed?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 4:11pm
That is a known recall and a relatively easy fix. Lot's of G boats out there snapping shafts as well. What I am not understanding is why it is taking more then a few days to fix?? And to get lawyers involved over a belt tensioner recall, think you are wasting your time and money. Also do not think coming to these public forums to throw CC/Nautique under the bus is going to help you in any way. My money is on your dealing with an incompetent dealer. Have you personally spoken with Ron Nance? And if so what is he telling you??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Also do not think coming to these public forums to throw CC/Nautique under the bus is going to help you in any way. My money is on your dealing with an incompetent dealer.

I sure agree and,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

what's PCM saying? .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete

Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:04pm
I wish someone had shared their experience with Nautique for me to take into account when deciding Which boat to buy. I am sharing my experience with Nautique / Correct Craft. If you Think I should not share it on a forum such as this, then it would be a marketing platform rather than a user forum.
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:09pm
First time I'm hearing negative feed back on a Correct Craft boat-there has to be a part of this story that is missing-my friend is a Nautique dealer in the northeast and sells every model and has never had a complaint on material failure ???????
Curious what the outcome will be
Lakeview

1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:13pm
The tensioner had broken in half. I am by No means an ingenieur but the Nautique ingeneur stod with the two pieces in his hand and told me that He was extremely surprised since it was coast metal that was not supposed to break in that way.
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:16pm
Brainard, Rob Nace told me on the phone that They (Nautique) are one and the same Company since They own PCM.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:24pm
Rex, to me it's fine to come on here and discuss. You've stated you want to warn others, but are (in my opinion) approaching it in a respectful way, just relating what is happening to you. And, pretty frustrating to be dealing with your situation, just makes no sense. Nautique is known for high quality and good customer service, many people on this site have had positive experiences with the brand.

Why hasn't the dealer installed a new tensioner? They must be giving you a reason. It's just not that hard to do. Was there any other damage caused by the tensioner breaking?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:25pm
Rex , Sorry for your misfortune but something isn't adding up. The tensioner issue is a know defective item and from what I understand it has been addressed and corrected by PCM.   If you go over to Planet Nautique this issue has been discussed for a while now. What I don't understand is why you weren't shipped a new part and taken care of.   Were replacement parts not available when yours failed or did they just not ship one to you, or is there something else rotten in Denmark

I don;t think anyone here is enjoying your misfortune but the story has holes so please fill us in.
rebel skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:29pm
Rex,

Sorry you had such a negative experience. However, there is a reason why Correct Craft is able to gobble up several other boat brands. They make one of the superior manufactures out there.    I get it that this is not your experience.

I have another brand boat other than my Ski Nautique, and they have a private forum for us owners. The owners that have to go back to dealers and deal with 1-2 issues are the norm, not the exception. Makes me not want to ever buy new given that is seems most companies now send out boats with issues.

The problem with forums and the internet is every problem gets magnified 10 fold. We had a vehicle that if you read the internet the tranny falls out of the it every 45K miles. It was the best in its class for the era we owned it. I had it for 10 years, towed boats with it, and sold it with the original tranny.

Good luck getting it fixed, but just know people who know boats know Correct Craft is one of the best -- not perfect, but one of the best.

Rebel as in I skied on the Ole Miss Rebels Water Ski Team
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Rex Rex wrote:

I wish someone had shared their experience with Nautique for me to take into account when deciding Which boat to buy. I am sharing my experience with Nautique / Correct Craft. If you Think I should not share it on a forum such as this, then it would be a marketing platform rather than a user forum.

You always have to question someone's motives when they join a forum to bash the product that the forum is all about. Maybe you can enlighten us to your posts where you asked us about our thoughts on Nautiques's ? Most likely you would have been referred to Planet Nautiques web site, you'll find that only a handful here,if even that, have boats even made in this century. You are talking a whole different company by the time the major change over to GM based engines and monster tube pulling G boats. Common knowledge in the automotive world to change tensioners when it comes time to replace a belt, must be the weak point of the system. Unfortunately as time goes on things get more complicated, Henry Ford once said parts left off cause no service problems.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Rex , Sorry for your misfortune but something isn't adding up. The tensioner issue is a know defective item and from what I understand it has been addressed and corrected by PCM.   What I don't understand is why you weren't shipped a new part and taken care of.   Were replacement parts not available when yours failed or did they just not ship one to you, .

I sure agree that there seems to be some holes in the story. Via my local dealer, I understand that the tensioner problem has been taken care of with a redesign BUT, dealers were replacing them with the old design as needed before the new could be manufactured. Rex, wasn't this option offered to you?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2017 at 6:57pm
Thank you for the public service announcement. Consider trading that disrespectful boat in on a respectable MasterCraft.
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 4:02am
Not nice to hear of issues, but definitely seems there is more to this story.
I am at the arse end of the world were even seeing another nautique on the water is a blessing. and even I get good service from the local Nautique guys here, and that''s saying something especially in a third world country with no emphasis on customer support.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 9:44am
Wow. I have been boating 62 years. I would NEVER take a Nautique out to Sea. Guess Im a big chicken! You have a dealer problem. Not a brand problem. Must be info missing......
gt40KS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Jay SE IN. Jay SE IN. wrote:

Wow. I have been boating 62 years. I would NEVER take a Nautique out to Sea. ....

Well, while a G23 is not quite the Nautiques of of yesteryear, an ocean-going cruiser it is not. Our very low freeboard and relatively narrow beam would scare the heck out of me in 3 or 4 foot seas, let alone what you may encounter out there. THIS, more than anything presented in the story - to me - is the only part of the "risked life" that I'd agree with.   

Buying a new craft, one would be well within their right to expect a trouble-free product, at least for the first years of service.   That, unfortunately, doesn't happen 100% of the time. Be it boats or cars or airplanes, once in a while there's going to be an issue prematurely cropping up. That's where ideally the dealer and the product manufacturer   step in and try their best to make it right.   Sorry about your issues and the subsequent problems resolving them, but without further, more inciting information my impression is the dealer you've been working with in the Netherlands doesn't seem to be interested in helping you very much. Again, given the information presented here.

Still very confused about that term .... "breach".   What EXACTLY is a material breach?? Anyway, If this was ( is ) the only problem that was encountered, there really isn't any reason it could not have been repaired quickly and very inexpensively - once again, unless we're not getting the whole picture....
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
2006 Ford F-250 King Ranch
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2017 at 11:34pm
And we likely never will.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 2:18am
My 2 cents, maybe the pulley was bad and broke. No argument on that point.
What happened next is what is causing the long delay.
I suspect the operator kept motoring long after the pulley broke and long after the warning lights lit up thinking he could get back to shore or the Marina safely.
Along that road the engine overheated and froze up. It is now junk and he needs a total rebuild from the overheat.
Now he is asking for a new replacement engine for free since the boat is still "under warranty" and Nautique is telling him that operator error is what cooked the new engine not the bad part so his warranty is void on this overheated engine.
I write this with absolutely no knowledge of his boat or this incident other than what I read above in this post but I bet this hits the nail right on the head.
If he takes Nautique to court on this issue he will lose.
The courts will determine what a reasonable person should have done in this circumstance.
If I am all wet on this I will take my lumps and apologize but I suspect this is what happened and this is not the first case similar to this.
Owners think "I am under warranty" while that is true it does not excuse operator error.
When the engine is torn down the parts will tell the story very clearly if the inspector knows his business.   
To the owner, sorry this happened to your beautiful new boat.
I would find a good local machine shop and get the engine repaired. Some parts will need to be replaced but normally most will be just fine so rather than spend $15,000 on a new Marine Engine spend $2,000 and have your engine repaired locally. It will be good as new if you find a good shop.
Edit: I was thinking if this was my boat, if it was mine, I do the repair labor so the prices don't include labor. The $2,000 I noted is just machine shop time, you might add another $1,000 or more Labor to get this engine pulled and then re installed after repair.
!
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 5:12am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

My 2 cents, maybe the pulley was bad and broke. No argument on that point.
What happened next is what is causing the long delay.
I suspect the operator kept motoring long after the pulley broke and long after the warning lights lit up thinking he could get back to shore or the Marina safely.
Along that road the engine overheated and froze up. It is now junk and he needs a total rebuild from the overheat.
Now he is asking for a new replacement engine for free since the boat is still "under warranty" and Nautique is telling him that operator error is what cooked the new engine not the bad part so his warranty is void on this overheated engine.
I write this with absolutely no knowledge of his boat or this incident other than what I read above in this post but I bet this hits the nail right on the head.
If he takes Nautique to court on this issue he will lose.
The courts will determine what a reasonable person should have done in this circumstance.
If I am all wet on this I will take my lumps and apologize but I suspect this is what happened and this is not the first case similar to this.
Owners think "I am under warranty" while that is true it does not excuse operator error.
When the engine is torn down the parts will tell the story very clearly if the inspector knows his business.   
To the owner, sorry this happened to your beautiful new boat.
I would find a good local machine shop and get the engine repaired. Some parts will need to be replaced but normally most will be just fine so rather than spend $15,000 on a new Marine Engine spend $2,000 and have your engine repaired locally. It will be good as new if you find a good shop.
Edit: I was thinking if this was my boat, if it was mine, I do the repair labor so the prices don't include labor. The $2,000 I noted is just machine shop time, you might add another $1,000 or more Labor to get this engine pulled and then re installed after repair.

My guess also. Tensioner caused more serious damage, Overheating/Seizing?
And, there are many places in this world along the sea coast (Europe) that would be suitable to boat, if not optimal.
Sorry for your troubles! Big bucks to have swinging in a shop.
Js
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 7:17am
Material breach must be a term you apply to the broke part after you've lawyered. up. And perhaps he cooked the engine, but who knows as there's certainly more to the story.

I don't boat on the ocean, but I have a BIL that regularly goes 30 miles out into the Gulf of Maine in his 19' Sea Pro. Most people think he's nuts, but there's plenty of people that do that.
Jay SE IN. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay SE IN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 7:20am
Im still chicken!!!!!
"THESE are the good old days" ( thanks, Dad!)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 7:39am

do not think coming to these public forums to throw CC/Nautique under the bus is going to help you in any way.

Again, I agree. I'm also curious if he's posting his issue over on PN. Since I don't frequent PN much, wondering if anyone has noticed a similar post over there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

do not think coming to these public forums to throw CC/Nautique under the bus is going to help you in any way.

Again, I agree. I'm also curious if he's posting his issue over on PN. Since I don't frequent PN much, wondering if anyone has noticed a similar post over there.

Hi Pete -- I searched over on PN for you. here you go:
PSA- PN
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2017 at 9:24am
Scott,
Thanks for the link. It's interesting that the responses over on PN parallel the ones here. Yup, I feel there are holes in Rex's story!! I'm leaning towards the he, without cooling water, fried the engine idea!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic